A Soprano's Scratchpad

Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween from Nebraska!

My presentation went very well - much better than my rehearsal in the hotel room last night, and really better than I had even hoped for. I felt like I was articulate and in control. (We'll see what I think about it when I watch the video!) And believe it or not, eleven people showed up for my 8 AM lecture even though it was a five minute outdoor walk from the building where most of our events are taking place. I felt honored by that. And a few others have approached me since then lamenting that they weren't able to come because they were judging auditions at that time. So, it would seem that I picked a topic of some interest to my colleagues.

The rest of the day has been relatively low-energy for me. I don't think I slept especially well last night, even without my husband's snoring and cats waking me up wanting to be fed. And things moved much slower this year than last so that we seemed to be idle more than we were busy. Busy-ness would have kept me more alert. Still, it has been a good day.

Also, I have been brainstorming ways to tighten up the tabulation process we use in our local chapter for student auditions, and I came up with a plan today, inspired by the regional protocol, that I think will cut the tabulating time back substantially while also eliminating a source of error. I will need to run it by the membership, but that can be done electronically in the next few weeks, and I don't anticipate a lot of opposition (though there will certainly be some). Our chapter president supports the change, which is helpful, especially since he is my predecessor in the role of District Auditions Chair.

And for anyone who was wondering, yes, I did find that geocache last night, officially adding Nebraska to our geocaching map. :-) We also passed a major milestone on October 19th when we found our 200th cache. Passing this milestone means that we are now ranked among Colorado Geocachers. Presently we are 589th in the state of Colorado. Unfortunately, the weather and an increasingly busy schedule have severely limited the amount of caching we've been able to do since then.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home