A Soprano's Scratchpad

Friday, October 10, 2008

And then there's me...

The Aurora Music Teachers Association (AMTA) hosts a high school coffeehouse "open mic" night at Border Bookstore every month. AMTA members' students can sing or play an instrument for their peers in the coffeehouse at our local bookstore. It's a really awesome opportunity for kids to enjoy making music together and for one another.

I enjoy attending these events. Tonight one of my students was there, and she had a great time because it turned out some of her friends study with some of my colleagues, so she knew people there already.

I found myself in sort of a strange position, though, I guess. There's all these students... all teenagers... and all these other teachers... all in their forties, fifties and sixties... and then there's me... 30. It was just weeeeird.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 10/11/2008 9:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know what you mean. When I play the symphonic band jobs in the summertime, I am always either the youngest or second youngest person there. There is one trumpet player who is still in his 20s, when he is there subbing, but I'm by far the youngest regular at 30 and have been since I joined them at 25. A couple of people are in their 30s and maybe half a dozen are in their 40s, but most people in that group are 50+.

    We flutes, ages 51, 30 and then 57 on piccolo, have bonded musically into a nice section, but about all we have in common for conversation is that we have all played with orchestras in Mexico at some point. It seems like not many people our age are making careers our way even though plenty of us are graduating with the appropriate degrees.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home