A Soprano's Scratchpad

Monday, January 21, 2008

Uh, I was breathing that?

You may remember that one of my Christmas presents from Eric was an ionic air purifier. It has been useful. It eliminates the litter box odors even when the kitties forget to cover up, and my students who are allergic to cats notice significant differences in their allergic reactions when I use it in the studio just before their lessons.

Eric gave it to me a little before Christmas, so we've had it about a month now. Last night, we cleaned the filter for the first time - ran it under water in the sink like the instructions said. It's hard to describe... for at least two minutes (maybe more), clear water went in one side and absolutely opaque, dark as night, black water came out the other side. I looked at all that crud and realized that the purifier had pulled all of that out of the air I was breathing! Wicked! And that was only a month's worth!

4 Comments:

  • At 1/22/2008 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Look at it this way: That is what it is designed to do so it probably pulls in a lot more gunk than you do. And much like the purifier, you have filters that clean some of the gunk out.

    Aren't you glad you have the purifier? Have your throat and lungs felt any different since you got it?
    ~BPP

     
  • At 1/22/2008 9:22 AM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    Well, I've had a sore throat for two and a half weeks, so I can't say I've felt any improvement there...

     
  • At 1/23/2008 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is pretty amazing. We've used a room-sized ionic filter occasionally when painting, staining, or doing other really stinky housework, and it's incredible how much more livable the room becomes.

    When I've used that thing in a room or when I've gone to a place like The Sharper Image that sells such units (and has them turned on for display), I've noticed that the air actually *feels* different when I breathe it. It seems fresher, of course, but it also seems colder somehow to me when I breathe through my nose. Have you noticed that sensation?

     
  • At 1/24/2008 6:32 PM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    Well, I would definitely say it feels different. Especially if I've been in the room with it for awhile and then I walk to a different room, the air seems denser. But as for cold, I generally attribute that to the fact that it is coming out of the purifier through a fan. Do you think it is more than that?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home