A Soprano's Scratchpad

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Update on the Met auditions

I almost forgot to tell you how the audition went. It went okay. Multiple people, including my teacher, said it is the best I have ever sung in an opera competition. I felt I sang a solid performance, but I felt I must have looked terrified. I was sure everyone could see my knees shaking. My teacher concurred - I looked like I wanted to be anywhere but on that stage. But it was still my personal best for that environment, so I am glad I did it. That being said, however, I don't see much point in doing it again. Yes, I will be too old for the Met auditions next year, but the DLOG competition uses the same stage, and I think I will forgo that from now on, too. There is nothing more for me to gain from the experience. I am not a competitive singer. After all, a competition is not very different from a studio recital - you come on, you sing your song, and you leave - but I perform quite well in recitals and not so well in competition. Recitals are the reality of performing, so if I had to choose, I would take being better at recitals; competitions are contrived. In competitions, we go to win, but in recitals, we go to entertain, and that is what art is really about: entertainment and the sheer joy of doing it.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 1/18/2008 8:00 AM, Blogger Christianne said…

    I whole heartedly agree, and I'm glad you have found some peace of mind in that catagory. Sometimes what we think we most want, is not really what we actually enjoy and do well at. I'm learning that, too. My dream of conducting on some big stage, just won't be a reality. But I know now that even after a masters degree in conducting, it's ok. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home