A Soprano's Scratchpad

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy Holidays!

We had a nice Christmas with our families. Eric gave me an ionic air purifier, which is considerably reducing the dust and odor surrounding the litter box in the guest room. In fact, when that thing is on, you'd never know there was a litter box there! It's very effective.

He also gave me a digital picture frame, which I absolutely love. Because the pictures are made with light, they are so much more vibrant than paper photos, and I don't have to limit myself to just one photo in the frame -- I get to see a slideshow! I've loaded pictures of all of my favorite memories from the last few years so it brings me great joy to watch them appear on the screen.

He also gave me one of those page-a-day calendars -- it's an origami collection. Every page provides instructions for making some origami piece with the paper from the day before. Today I made a fox. Later in the week I will make a dog... I will make the dog's head on Thursday and the rest of his body on Friday and then put it together. It's neat! Now, what am I going to do with 300-some origami creations?

One of my students gave me a piano Christmas tree ornament. I was stunned to realize that I had never had a piano ornament. I've played the piano for 27 years and I teach piano, but I have never had a piano ornament on my tree! How weird is that?

Our two-year-old niece gave us two interesting gifts. First, she learned to say my name, and I got to hear her say it for the first time on Christmas day. (She had already figured out Eric's. My name is tricky because of the Ls I guess.) She also gave us a box of kleenex -- the box was decorated with pictures of her and pictures of us with her. Her mom special-ordered it through MyKleenex.com. If you're a picture person or need a gift for one, this is a clever idea.

Last night, Eric and I watched movies together until close to midnight and then rang in the new year together. This is what we did our first New Year's together, too. It's a nice way to spend the holiday. This morning I made breakfast for him and we are watching football games.

Happy New Year!

2 Comments:

  • At 1/01/2008 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy New Year! Those digital picture frames are nice. Also, you might want to do some research on the specific air purifier you have. There was a big deal a couple of years ago that the Ionic Breeze air purifiers generate a lot of ozone, which can be bad news.

    Enjoy the origami! One year I had the page-a-day paper airplane calendar, and it was a lot of fun.

     
  • At 1/03/2008 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    300-some origami creations make great Christmas gifts.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home