A Soprano's Scratchpad

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Some thoughts on performing under pressure

Singing and gymnastics have a lot in common: Both are very physical activities requiring tremendous stamina and motor coordination combined with aristry. As performers, both have to keep their bodies in optimal condition in order to perform their best, and they struggle with the effects of nerves on their performances. As one who often performs poorly under the pressure of competition, it has been educational for me to watch the Olympic gymnastics finals on TV. The best of the best (i.e. Liukin & Johnson) are careful what they allow themselves to pay attention to during a competition and are often seen closing their eyes as part of a routine to focus their thoughts and calm their nerves. They are also known, according to commentators, for being exceptionally able to "live in the moment" and are less affected by recent and/or significant setbacks and disappointments -- skills which are probably linked to their ability to focus their thoughts. These qualities make them very successful. Others, like Alicia Sacrimone, are more like me, lacking in these skills. Our technical and artistic skills enable us to compete in venues where we consistently perform below our ability because we are overly concerned with the importance of the event and the consequences of mistakes.

Figure skating is in the same boat with singing and gymnastics as a sport requiring both athleticism and artistry, and it has similar examples of grace under pressure. My favorite is that of Sarah Hughes, Olympic gold medalist in women's figure skating in 2002 - she was in fourth place heading into the final program behind three powerhouses in the sport. Assuming she was out of contention for a medal, she decided the pressure was off and just tried to entertain the audience, while the powerhouses, each knowing the smallest mistake could cost them a gold medal, made significant careless and uncharacteristic mistakes. A commentator stated, "For Sarah, it wasn't about the result; it was about the performance." And it earned her a gold medal. In the end, it's not about who is the best skater, but who out of a handful of world-class skaters performs best under unfathomable pressure.

I have worked on telling myself that these events (i.e, the Met auditions) are not important and that I am not trying to accomplish anything "special", I'm just there to repeat the "same old show" that I do day after day in the studio. This helps, but I am still working on convincing myself, I think, because most of my best performances show up in the privacy of the studio. Tim Galway's book, The Inner Game of Tennis, offers a great deal of insight on this matter, as well, which again, I have yet to fully internalize. Book knowledge of these concepts is not surprisingly insufficient.

For the record, I have won more track (running) events than I have singing events -- and I have competed in more singing events than track events, albeit at a much higher level.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 8/18/2008 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    These are some very interesting points you've made. I'll add an experience of my own from this weekend to the discussion as I also tend to perform at, oh, say, 80-90% of capabilities.

    For Denversop's other readers, I had to perform at a wedding this weekend just a few hours after learning that a private student of mine had unexpectedly passed away. At least until I have to play at his funeral, that was the most difficult performance I've ever had to give.

    I acknowledged that the amount of pressure I was facing was ridiculously high, and I guess I left it in the church pew as I went out and performed. Another musician there said it was the best that she'd heard me play. That is saying something; she has heard me play well, and, in addition to being stressed, I was also rather out of practice.

    Like Sarah Hughes, I guess, I went up with the frame of mind that I didn't really care what happened as long as I got up there and played. I remember hardly any of the performance, but, for maybe just time number 5 in my life, I had a performance that went beyond my believed capabilities.

    There have got to be better ways, though, to top-rank performances than supposedly being out of medal contention after the first round or having a student die right before. I've read the Gallwey book and its companion, The Inner Game of Music, too. Somehow, though, for me and I'd bet for you, too, the advice in those books becomes yet another point of torture right before taking the stage.

    If we can get past that point or otherwise get to a point where it truly doesn't matter, then we've got some good performances ahead of us.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home