A Soprano's Scratchpad

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Geocaching milestone

For those who haven't heard, geocaching is my new favorite hobby. Yes, we actually got started last summer (A day of firsts), but after that first one, it took us until this summer to really get going, and now I am totally addicted to it. This evening, we placed our first cache for other geocachers to find.

Now, some geocaches are, imho, kind of boring & pointless... something someone stuck in the middle of a parking light under a lamp post just because they could - not a lot of thought in it, and not a lot of value to the finder. But I saw some really neat ones when I was caching in Ohio, though - the two neatest ones were in cemeteries... one was by a headstone shaped like a motorcycle (Dad loved that one) and one was by the grave of a Revolutionary War veteran! These were interesting! And last weekend, we went off-road geocaching on Saxon Mountain with some friends from church and found several larger caches hidden in the mountain forests. We were rewarded partway through with the ineffable views from the summit, not to mention the fun of navigating the rocky "roads" and spending time with friends.

So, naturally, I had to make our hide interesting. I was going to go for the gravesite of Baby Doe Tabor (a la The Ballad of Baby Doe), but someone beat me to it. Instead, I settled on the Melvin Schoolhouse located on the grounds of my alma mater, SHHS. In the process, I have learned so many fascinating things, not only about the school house, but about the history of Aurora - and not boring history stuff, really really cool stuff. I think our new cache adds value.

Next, Eric and I are thinking of acquiring and launching a pair of travel bugs and competing to see whose bug travels farther. :-) We are also hosting two of El's college friends from NJ next weekend and hoping to convert them. ;-) hehe.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 7/25/2008 5:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats on your first hide!

    We also enjoy caches that give a bit of history or a beautiful view.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home