A Soprano's Scratchpad

Friday, July 11, 2008

A tech blast from the past

I'm back in Denver now doing some "spring cleaning," and I found my old software for "Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego". The box contained twelve 3.5" floppy diskettes and six 5.25" diskettes - I haven't seen 5.25" diskettes in at least 15 years! The box also contained a 1991 World Almanac and a brochure advertising Prodigy Internet Service.... anyone remember them? They were my ISP at the time. That was a pretty cool service in its day.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 7/12/2008 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I loved that game! You know, I was just commenting to someone a couple of weeks ago that it would be harder to make that game today, with most of Europe using the Euro for currency. Most of the bank clues wouldn't be helpful anymore!

     
  • At 7/14/2008 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I also loved that game and spent many hours playing it in junior high. Mine was for what I now call the cave man's computer, the Commodore 64.

    I remember laughing when opening the game and finding an almanac inside. My grandfather would give me, among other things, an almanac every Christmas!

     
  • At 7/16/2008 9:20 AM, Blogger GeekTeach said…

    Broderbund still sells Carmen. Don't know if it comes with a 2000 almanac or 2008.... It would be neat if they kept the facts up-to-date. (I don't think I'll be buying it for at least 2 more years.

    And Prodigy is now ATT.net. (My mother-in-law still has the Prodigy icon on her desktop.) :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home