A Soprano's Scratchpad

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Conclusion

Wow… I figured I’d finish up tonight with something like, “the banquet was a lot of fun, a nice finish to a great week.” Tada. But if I can find the energy to write about it all, there will be a lot to say. Problem is, of course, that I am absolutely exhausted. Why? Because I danced for over three hours.

The dinner was nice. Anticipating I would want wine with dinner, I bought a glass at the cash bar, only to find out that they were serving wine complimentary during the dinner. Oh well. We Young Leaders found each other and sat together, but it was very loud in the room, so we were limited to one-on-one discussions. I mostly talked to the guy next to me, Larry, who was not a young leader, just a friendly colleague with a lot of spunk. He cracked me up… he actually fell asleep while Marni Nixon was talking, and then when we started applauding for her, he woke up and tried to cover it up with, “she is so funny, isn’t she?” She really was, though. She told us a handful of funny anecdotes about her career and working with Liberace and Victor Borge.

After Marni Nixon, it was time to dance. The orchestra was absolutely first rate. During dinner, they had played a variety of jazz standards, but during the dance time, they played mostly rockin’ oldies. Well, that and “Play That Funky Music, White Boy.” Hehe…. Can you just see a hundred or more voice teachers of all ages rockin’ out to that? I can. I did! Hehe…. I was one of them!

It was really tremendous. When the dancing started, they added some really great rock vocalists to work the crowd. There were a few hundred people at the dinner, and at least 85% of them were on the dance floor within the first few dances. Although the crowd gradually thinned out over the next three hours, there were still a good 60-80 people on the dance floor when the orchestra bid us goodnight. The singers got us involved in the music. For awhile, the lead singer even passed the mic around for various teachers to improvise while the orchestra looped the chord progression. That was a blast. I don’t think anyone quite expected how “with it” NATS could be!

I had a lot of fun tonight. I danced with a lot of different people. Mostly, we Young Leaders danced together, but we danced with a lot of other people, too. And we finally got some group photos. It’s too bad we didn’t all get together sooner because we were the perfect group of friends when we all finally met up at the banquet. All in all, the banquet was the perfect way to close an unforgettable five days. I will be sorry to leave it all behind in the morning.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home