A Soprano's Scratchpad

Friday, June 06, 2008

A different kind of "Mozart Effect"

Many music educators know that the so-called "Mozart Effect" - the theory that listening to classical music improves kids' spatial skills or otherwise makes them smarter - is a very controversial issue among both educators and researchers.

This fascinating NY Times article examines the possibility (nothing proven yet, folks!) of quantifiable medical benefits associated with listening to music, specifically that composed by W.A. Mozart.

You know, they say that cat owners live longer than non-cat-owners -- that the presence of a beloved pet helps people deal with stress better and thus helps keep their blood pressures lower. Between being a classical musician and owner of four cats, maybe that's why my blood pressure runs so unpleasantly low... I have too many stress relievers in my life!

Someone needs to invent a tongue-in-cheek smiley.

----------------------------

Interesting.... see my March '06 blog entry entitled, Music Therapy.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 6/08/2008 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, a response here, as promised!

    As you might expect, my first reaction is one of "oh no, not this again." I should hasten to add that my concern is not so much the content of the study itself (or of the news article), but the uncritical and often giddy reaction amongst the population at large (and the music ed community in particular) about yet another purported benefit of music and music study. And as you've heard me mention all too often, I think that doesn't help the cause of music-in-schools much at all. It may even be a detriment.

    Still, it's interesting, it does have "a nice sort of metaphorical ring," as the article states. I am heartened by the more careful response that the study seems to have received among stress researchers. (Would it be that many others in our field could do the same!)

    Incidentally, I tried to look up whatever thesis or dissertation he wrote as part of his music philosophy doctorate. Couldn't find it. (And I looked pretty hard!)

     
  • At 6/08/2008 10:57 PM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    The article indicated that he was educated in Germany, even through his doctoral work. Did you do an international search?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home