A Soprano's Scratchpad

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Out of touch

I went shopping today. I hate shopping. As such, it had been ages since I was last at a mall for anything but lunch after church. I was disappointed to find that there is very little for sale at the mall that I would consent to be seen wearing. I did come home with a couple of cute new outfits, but the overall experience was depressing. I just stared around with wide eyes wondering at what point I became so out of touch with "the times." I mean, I literally felt like I had just stepped out of a time machine into the future.

I went in to 5-7-9.... this was my absolute favorite clothes shop when I was in Jr. High. It's a totally different store now. They didn't grow up with me, I guess. I got older and a new generation of youth filled my shoes, and the store adapted to meet their demands. I mean, the stuff they sell now fits a culture that is totally foreign to me! Even the stuff at the major department stores seemed weird to me. But 5-7-9 was the biggest shock/reality check.

I was also very bothered today by the aloof attitude of people in general. It's like people go out of their way not to make eye contact with you so they don't feel compelled to smile, say hello, or in any other way acknowledge your existence.

Apparently, I am old-fashioned.

3 Comments:

  • At 5/04/2008 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is pretty shocking, isn't it? Just out of curiosity, I went to 579's website, and it was quite a sight. I can understand that the brand itself isn't going to age with us; after all, another brand calls itself "Forever 21" for a reason. Times have changed, though, and it is quite a time indeed when people pay top dollar for garments that have already been half destroyed.

    Don't get me started on men's fashion, either. That world is no better. Strangely, I enjoy the challenge of finding something that works for Christianne, but, like you, I loathe the task of finding anything for myself.

    I can understand the aloof attitude when one is walking through a crowded place... Times Square, for instance. One would be so busy saying hi there that he'd never get anywhere. Outside of that extreme example, though, I'm quite bothered by this state of things, too.

     
  • At 5/07/2008 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It helps if you do more than smile and make eye contact.

    Try greeting passing strangers as if you know them. People are much friendlier if they're embarrassed into thinking they forgot who you are.

     
  • At 6/03/2008 8:16 PM, Blogger tapango1 said…

    try handing out cookies!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home