A Soprano's Scratchpad

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Opera Colorado - excerpts from my diary

The sitzprobe went well and I found the Ellie Caulkins Opera House to be a fascinating place. They call it “The Ellie” for short [as you saw in my previous posting], and they even shorten that to just “Ellie” in many cases, so all of the trash cans and music stands have “Ellie” stenciled on them. It’s funny to see my name stenciled on a trash can. And there are signs that say “Ellie Stage Door,” like they are there specifically to tell me where to go. And they have a marvelous PA system to corral all the performers – “gentlemen of the chorus, stage right in five minutes, please.” “ladies and gentlemen of the orchestra to the stage, please.” “Maestro Lord, stage right, please.” “The rehearsal will begin in 30 minutes.” Etc. It’s so FORMAL!

I had been in the theater before in the audience. It is really a beautiful hall. As the women are not in the first act, I was able to enjoy the first act from the first balcony of the audience, and in doing so, I got a much better view of the hall than I had from the floor when I saw Carmen there with Denyce Graves at the beginning of The Ellie’s opening season. I really enjoyed the first act – it’s such a fine opera [The Flying Dutchman].

I spent the second act on stage. The women sing a little in the beginning of the 2nd act, and then sit there for an hour. This would have been marvelous if we were in front of the soloists and able to hear them better. In any case, it was a very different view of the theater, equally breathtaking, with its three balconies. And I was constantly enjoying the swell of emotions I always feel with a full orchestra, choir & soloists in collaboration with a world-class conductor (here, Stephen Lord). It is a magical scenario to me. The music was so dramatic and emotional and, well, there’s just no way to describe it really – it’s just magical to me – I love it. And this was just a dress rehearsal! Friday night we’ll all be in concert black and the hall will be full of people. While I have been in situations like this a number of times as an adult, it particularly reminded me of the concert-version operas in which I participated while singing in the Columbus Symphony Orchestra Children’s Chorus [in the late 80s and early 90s].

Sometimes I feel a little sheepish being so enthralled with this stuff. I’ve been around it all for more than two decades, but I marvel at it as though it is my first time. A small part of me thinks it’s probably more “cool” to be ambivalent, but the never-ending magic reminds me why I became a musician to begin with and makes me thankful for the line of work I have chosen and been privileged to pursue.

The third act is quite short and has the most chorus music. It is the only time both the men’s and women’s choruses are on stage together. I am particularly fond of the men’s chorus music in this opera. I get a thrill listening to them sing it. It has a magical quality of its own, especially the way they sing it. I also love it whenever the men’s chorus applauds the women’s chorus – I don’t know why. I like thinking they are impressed by us and proud of us. Must be that “words of affirmation” love language thing again.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 4/17/2008 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The atmosphere you are experiencing is different from the one that I experienced in Houston, except for the professionalism and quality. The hall staff and PA were similarly formal, professional, and courteous, and the level was sky high. Heck, Susan Graham was Ariodante, and I think I've told you how good their opera chorus is. It was clear that the chorus was having a good time, too. The orchestra, though, was quite bitter, and the experience killed any remaining desire for an orchestral career from me.

    I am glad that you're having such a wonderful time with this event! Enthusiasm is contagious, and, as it seems like the atmosphere is inherently positive (the temperature of the hall would feel ten degrees cooler if it weren't), I say don't bottle it up. It doesn't sound like it would actually be "cool" to keep it inside of you in this case. I'm not saying that you should go in glowing right and left as though the hall itself has your name on it ;) (as cool as that is!); I'm just saying that you'll be your best if you just be yourself.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home