A Soprano's Scratchpad

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Experience of a lifetime

The MTNA national conference is in Denver this year and began today and goes through Wednesday. This afternoon culminated with a 90-minute master class with opera legend, Marilyn Horne. I managed to get a front row seat, from which I occasionally captured short video clips, some of which my students will get to watch. (Before lunch, we also enjoyed a "conversation" with Ms. Horne.) This was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience. It is difficult to describe, but I learned so much, and it all made so much sense - as she coached the singers (some of whom I knew), I could imagine how it would feel to sing it as they did at first and then again as she recommended. All in all, I didn't learn anything particularly new, but I processed it in a different context - specifically in the context of singers who are more advanced than I am, as opposed to in my own voice or in less-accomplished voices. And, demonstrated by a legend, these ideas took on new significance. My visual and aural mental image of these sounds/techniques is enhanced.

And afterward, Ms. Horne autographed my copy of her autobiography (which I acquired years ago, thank you very much). "To Ellie - Marilyn Horne '08"

Yes, this makes up for yesterday. I'm looking forward to the rest of the convention, though I can't imagine anything else this week will top this afternoon. :-)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home