A Soprano's Scratchpad

Monday, October 08, 2007

Meet my bug!

It is a little-known fact that Eric and I have enjoyed the company of a pet praying mantis this summer, whom we hatched in our front yard. We have taken pictures of her over the months, and today I finally made her a webpage to show the world her progress. And would you know, I think the boy mantises saw it because just an hour after that I went outside and found she had a boyfriend! My guess is mating season started today because we look for her every day and this was the first time I'd seen the fella.

Anyhow, visit her website... http://members.aol.com/ellieseligmann/Ichy/Ichy.html - and check back now and then for new pictures. (With any luck, I'll catch them "doing it!")

4 Comments:

  • At 10/10/2007 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Um... would it seem mean spirited to point out what female praying mantises do with males? Icky is quite the specimen. Why did you decide to get a pet praying mantis?
    ~BPP

     
  • At 10/10/2007 8:49 AM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    No, not mean-spirited. If he were going to eat her, I'd be upset. But men often deserve that sort of thing... ;-)

    We bought a praying mantis egg at the garden shop this summer with the idea that the 1500 or so hatchlings would eat the aphyds that were attacking our tree. This one just happened to stick around.

     
  • At 10/15/2007 3:28 PM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    Ichy passed away on October 13th. :-( We miss her.

     
  • At 10/15/2007 4:44 PM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    Hm... Okay, just kidding. She didn't move at all for 48 hours and when I prodded her with a stick, her tail end left where I pushed it. There was no movement at all. How could I possibly know she wasn't dead? Then I went out to bury her and she wasn't there. She was somewhere else. I prodded her. She still didn't move. I prodded some more and this time she shifted slightly - definitely her own movement. Weird. She's definitely not well, but she is technically still alive, as is her boyfriend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home