A Soprano's Scratchpad

Monday, August 27, 2007

Okay, hit me!

My first day back to school is best described allegorically.

Imagine you go up to someone you've known awhile and you say, "Go on, hit me as hard as you can!" You wince and brace yourself for the blow. When it comes, it knocks the wind out of you for a moment, but you recover and choke out, "nice shot."

So, I don't think I have overestimated the degree to which UNC will monopolize my life for the next 15 weeks. When the blog entries get few and far between, you can safely assume I'm in my studio buried under a mountain of books and CDs.

This week I am also dealing with the swell of anxiety that comes with the first week of classes. I've had two of the professors before, so that helps, but there is always that formational time where each class develops its own chemistry. It's the time during which I am labeled as "smart" or "talkative" or "geeky" or "type A" or any number of other things. It varies from class to class. In my first class today, I was almost the only female! The only other female in the class walked in a minute or so late, to my relief.

2 Comments:

  • At 8/28/2007 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nothing like standing at the bottom of the mountain, looking at the summit and saying "Oh... dang..." Still, the journey of a thousand miles...

    My former roommate is the only woman in one of her computing classes. That has to be intimidating.

    In 15 weeks it will all be a fading memory.
    ~BPP

     
  • At 8/28/2007 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been the only female in my classes (or project groups or whatever) a number of times. If you don't make a big deal out of it, chances are no one else will either.

    Good luck with the new semester!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home