A Soprano's Scratchpad

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Taking a risk here...

As is absolutely natural, most of my friends are only kind of close, so they only share their happy lives and hide their troubles – or they only share the Readers’ Digest version and only because I ask. When I’m struggling, I find it hard to share my heartache with these friends. More often than not, I have been the same way with them, only sharing the surface stuff, so there’s no real foundation for sharing hardship. I’m afraid they’ll think I’m a basket case.

There are also people who only call you when they are upset about something. They don’t call up just to say hi or go out for sodas. These people are very draining. I get paranoid about becoming this kind of friend. I’m afraid other people will think I’m a basket case.

I know there are at least a dozen of people in my life who would gladly listen to me vent and cry when my world feels topsy-turvy (many of you already have), and they all know I would do the same for them, but when it comes right down to it, I’m still afraid people will think I’m a basket case.

So, I have a new friend who I sincerely hope will always be a close friend, and this person took a huge risk in taking me into confidence without knowing me all that well. I find this person's real-ness so refreshing and calming. Naturally, as soon as I was really upset about something, this was the first person I wanted to talk to. Now, of course, I’m afraid this person is going to think I’m a basket case.

I can’t explain it. There’s this huge tug-of-war between the part of me that thinks I’m just being paranoid and the part that thinks my fears are well-founded. Then there’s the part of me that’s frustrated that I even care what anyone else thinks.

*sigh* Now you all think I’m a basket case, huh?

5 Comments:

  • At 8/25/2007 6:54 PM, Blogger Mellifluous said…

    I think it is hard for all of us to show that rough side. And I know I feel like you do...how to balance being real and being annoying by sharing too much or too often. I usually err on the side of staying silent, and in our women's bible study I just started to be real and hopefully not freak people out...namely myself. I guess we are all broken...more at some times and less at others....

    As far as your new friend...if she is a Christian woman, than I hope she turns out to be someone you can talk too. If she is a he...than I'd caution you to keep the relationship real but not to share those struggles. As far as someone not a believer, they might be a great listener, but they don't share the Counselor you do.

    But you already know that stuff. Just want you to know I am happy to talk anytime. You are a dear friend!

     
  • At 8/25/2007 7:25 PM, Blogger Christianne said…

    I completely agree that it is difficult to share during our hard times. I admit to struggling a lot lately... being lonely. Do I have friends who have told me I can call anytime? Yes. Do I call people up? More often than not, no. I've even been meaning to call you! :) I know we can't do this life "thing" alone.

    I have a wonderful, real friend on the other side of the country. We have had a hard time keeping in touch lately because we both have been dealing with difficult stuff! She was waiting to call me back hoping her stuff would improve so she could give me a good account! I finally caught up with her and got the good the bad and the ugly!

    If this new friend is real, I'm sure this person won't think you're a basket case. I don't.

     
  • At 8/26/2007 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We're all something of a basket case from time to time. It's all part of the human experience, even if it sucks. What's important is to find someone who you feel comfortable talking to about whatever is going on. And if they are a true friend (regardless of how long you've known them), you don't need to put on a facade of who you are to keep them from thinking you're crazy.

    I know that we've grown apart over the years, but I do want you to know that I still love you, and if you ever need me, you can call me anytime, day or night, and I'm here for you. I also implore you not to subject your new friend to the discrimination presented in one of the other comments here. He/She does not deserve that sort of treatment.

    What you're feeling is totally normal, and I know I've been there dozens of times. And most of the time it has worked out pretty well. Good luck!

    (Btw, I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but I added you to my LJ, so now you can see my intermittent craziness as well ;)

     
  • At 8/27/2007 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You think you are a basket case. You are also your harshest critic. Everyone is their own harshest critic.

    Calling someone a basket case before taking a long, hard look in the mirror is patently unfair. We all have our good days, our bad days and our going half mad days. The important thing is to share all of these with friends. All are equally real. And if your friends are only giving you the toxic and not sharing the good, are they really YOUR friends?

    Maybe your new friend worries that you think he might be a basket case? Like I said, we are all our own harshest critics.
    ~BPP

     
  • At 8/27/2007 10:46 AM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    Wow... four thoughtful comments in my blog! Yay! And three of you have known me 11 years or longer! Thanks for reminding me that I have the best friends in the world.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home