A Soprano's Scratchpad

Thursday, August 16, 2007

My first piano workshop

Given that I consider myself a voice teacher first and piano teacher second, I'd never attended a piano workshop before today. I decided to do this one because it was inexpensive, I had the time, and I was interested in the subject matter, teaching jazz techniques in the classical piano lesson. The workshop was taught by Dr. Lee Evans, who has authored more than 90 methods books geared toward this concept. At first, I was surprised by the nominal $10.00 tuition fee, but I quickly came to understand that the goal of the seminar was to sell as many of Dr. Evans' books as possible. It was done very effectively, too, as I struggled to pare down my wishlist to seven books, plus the three included in the tuition. There are still at least two others I plan to purchase at a later date. One book I got more for myself than my students is a collection of Dr. Evans' jazz arrangements of Christmas songs. His "Silent Night" and "What Child Is This?" are especially beautiful. All in all, it was well worth the time and money.

2 Comments:

  • At 8/22/2007 4:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Hey, Ellie B) (You set yourself up for that one in an earlier blog.) What does sop stand for? Just curious. It's been fun to see what you've been up to lately. Oh, I'll bet I know: soprano. Am I right?

     
  • At 8/22/2007 7:19 PM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    Yep - soprano. :-)

    Thank you so much for commenting! I love it when people comment on my blog. :-) (You too, Melli!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home