A Soprano's Scratchpad

Monday, August 27, 2007

First conducting assignment

Well, my first conducting lesson isn't until tomorrow, but I got my first assignment today... Harry Somers' "Feller from Fortune." I don't think I've ever seen so many meter changes in one piece! If I get bored, I'll count them for you. I can say, however, that I've counted eleven different meters... 1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 3/8, 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, 8/8, and 9/8. In just 20 little pages. Wow.

I was telling Christianne (my dear friend who has a master's degree in conducting!) that it reminds me of that video dancing game, Dance Dance Revolution. It's a challenge just keeping up... seeing the new meter and converting it in my brain to a physical movement while keeping perfect time. (I bet it's even harder with real singers!!)

Hehe, good thing I think this is fun. For now.

3 Comments:

  • At 8/28/2007 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And I thought I had a warped definition of fun. :-P At least you can keep the beat and translate it to the people you are conducting. I can't walk and drink coffee at the same time.
    ~BPP

     
  • At 8/31/2007 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This actually does sound like a lot of fun. Christianne and I have agreed that this assignment sounds much more like an IU conducting assignment in that it's very technically based.

    Technicalities aside, is it a fun piece?

     
  • At 9/07/2007 3:23 PM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    Yes, the text is quite amusing and the tune is catchy. Problem is, if you get it stuck in your head, you start walking in 7/8, and that just looks strange.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home