A Soprano's Scratchpad

Friday, February 16, 2007

A personal best

Metropolitan Opera National Council Auditions - prelims

Not the best I've ever performed, or even the best I've ever performed that aria, but by far the best I've ever performed in competition.

In all the others, I was nervous and that made me tighten the breathing mechanism, which resulted in all sorts of vocal issues. Today, I felt confident and I sang well. My only obvious mistake was the next to last note cut out for a split second. But I was still happy with it overall.

I was a bit disappointed when I went to sit in the audience with my teacher and read her comments over her shoulder. She wrote 1-2 words next to each person, and next to mine she wrote, "undersang." I didn't think I had. I know I didn't start out that way. But it doesn't matter.

I really don't expect to make it to the district finals, even though that's what I said I wanted. I listened to a handful of other singers before and after me, and many of them were incredible. (I was secretly glad that at least one of them did not do as well as I did - I was better than somebody.) I'm not sure even my best performance would be good enough to advance me to the district finals. (You'd have to hear these people!!) So, I'm just glad I did my best and came away from it smiling for once.

1 Comments:

  • At 2/17/2007 5:06 PM, Blogger Christianne said…

    Congratulations! Those competitions are rough. One's teacher's response can also be confusing or disheartening. I'm glad you're still pleased.
    I played in one competition as a kid. I had to sit at the piano while the judges completed their comments for the previous player. I was in agony. They looked so mean! I looked at my teacher expecting some expression of encouragement, but instead found a blank face almost as scary as those of the judges. I did rather poorly, and my teacher never recommended a competition again. :( I really think I would have done better at the Bach competition than the Bartok, but oh well.
    Anyway, the most important thing is for you to be happy with your own performance. Bravo!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home