A Soprano's Scratchpad

Friday, January 05, 2007

Buried treasures....

Eric and I are in Ohio visiting my Dad. Yesterday we rode the motorcycles to South Lawn Cemetery in Coshocton and introduced Eric to my grandparents, great-grandparents and great-great-grandparents. We spent today bailing out the flooding basement, which involved moving some boxes out of the way, and in the process I found a number of special things, including more letters from my grandad when he was working in Nepal for the United Nations, and three of his UN passports; also my grandfather's, grandmother's and great-grandmother's high school diplomas and confirmation certificates, and my great-grandparents' marriage license, news articles, old photographs and other assorted treasures. So, flooding basements are not all bad, I guess.

2 Comments:

  • At 1/07/2007 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Ellie! I finaly found my way to your blog pages - I've visited your site a few times but never noticed the click , 'here' Marquee before. I've been thoroughly entertained reading about the snow, your adventures in Rome, and Trisket's assistance in securing a new washer & dryer for his mom!

    I left a message at your house earlier - now, I see that you are probably still in Ohio. Sorry to read about the flooding -

    Now that I have found your blog - I will bookmark it!

    Talk to you soon! Debbie Ehlers

     
  • At 1/10/2007 7:29 PM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    Later in the trip, we uncovered several old photo albums with pictures going all the way back to my great-great grandparents on two sides of my dad's family, and lots of news clippings. There were even news clippings containing complete guest lists for my grandmother's wedding and associated showers. The real treat was finding a postcard my great-great-grandfather sent to my great-great-grandmother in 1910 when they were still dating!! It wore a 1-cent stamp.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home