A Soprano's Scratchpad

Friday, January 12, 2007

A busy semester ahead

School starts for me again on Monday. I'm looking forward to it because I have some great classes lined up. I cut back a little this semester, though. I'm taking four classes instead of five, and 10 credit hours instead of 11. I think eliminating the 1 credit course will help a lot, especially since those always seem to require as much effort as the 2 and 3 credit courses. The class I opted out of this time around was brass techniques - I think Eric will appreciate not having to listen to me learn to play the trumpet. I was very successful last semester in all of my classes, despite having to stay two weeks ahead of everything so I could go to Rome. But I was so busy, I rarely had time to spend with my husband. I decided I would rather spend an extra semester at it and live a more balanced life in the meanwhile. Between not having the Rome trip and having fewer classes, I should be more available.

Of course, I will have my hands full with NATS (National Association of Teachers of Singing). I've been on the board for the CO/WY chapter for the last year and a half as the VP of Website Development (aka Webmistress). In the fall, I plan to step up as VP of Auditions, as well - although I will hand off the website if someone else wants to run it. Technically, I will need to be elected to the Auditions Chair role, but I will be working with the current Chair this spring for this year's auditions, so I will have a huge advantage if anyone else is self-punishing enough to want to run against me. The annual auditions are a huge undertaking, but I think I will enjoy it because it will be like a giant sudoku - arranging all the judges, accompanists and singers into rooms and time-slots so that none overlap. I'm looking forward to it - it seems like my cup of tea. But that will definitely take some time this spring.

I am also putting together the program for Loveland Opera Theatre's spring show, which take a surprisingly large chunk of time. I wasn't able to be in the show because it is too much on top of grad school, but I can still contribute by doing the program. I've done all the other programs since the company's inception, so it makes sense.

So, anyhow, that's what I've got planned for the spring. I'll schedule the studio recital for mid-May to early June so I don't have to worry about it on top of all the other stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home