A Soprano's Scratchpad

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Happy Birthday, Lucy, Old Girl!

Yes, believe it or not, my eldest kitty will by seven years old on Wednesday. The posters in my veterinarian's office say that at age 7 and older, a cat is considered a "senior." All of our family cats that have died of natural causes have lived to be at least 21 years old. So with 2/3 of her life ahead of her, my Lucy is a senior?? I've got about 2/3 of my life left (if I live to be 87), and I'm sure not ready to be a senior citizen!

Oh well! Happy Birthday, Lucy!

2 Comments:

  • At 10/30/2006 1:00 PM, Blogger Ward said…

    Life expentancy of an indoor cat is about 15 years. So, based on averages, Lucy is middle aged. If a human is a "senior" at 65, "senior" kitty would be about 12!

     
  • At 11/01/2006 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe Lucy is a senior in the same way that professional athletes retire in their 30s most of the time. We musicians wouldn't dream of retirement in our 30s; in fact, that's when we are starting to reach our prime! I suppose cats would feel the effects of aging like professional athletes do, though, since they rely on their physical abilities so much more.
    I bet you won't notice a change in Lucy for a long time. Recall my flute teacher's cat, Spiro; when you met him, he was 12. He had all the spunk and energy of a human 12 year old. The last time I saw him, he was 16, and I saw no difference. I haven't heard anything to the contrary, so I assume that 19 year old Spiro is still his active, contrary self.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home