A Soprano's Scratchpad

Thursday, October 05, 2006

It's a small world after all!

So, in my Musical Scholarship class, we're writing program notes. You know, a few paragraphs in the performance program telling the audience a little about the composer and the piece of music. For our first program notes assignment, we had to choose a piece for solo instrument with piano accompaniment that is between 10 and 30 minutes in length. That eliminates the vast majority of the vocal repertoire, so I chose a Flute Sonata by Lowell Liebermann that I heard a good friend of mine perform in his junior recital at IU.

To begin my research, I did a search on the composer and "flute sonata" in the IIMP article search index. It brought up this fantastic article which is perfect for the kind of research one does for program notes. I was amused and surprised to see that the article had been written by none other than my good friend from IU while we were studying together at IU.

Needless to say, this good friend just got an email from me asking why on earth I never knew he was a published author! What a small world it is!

2 Comments:

  • At 10/06/2006 2:29 PM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    I got an email back from my friend today. Apparently, when the article was published, the editor changed several parts of it so that it reflected pedagogical beliefs that he opposes! Gotta watch out for those editors!

     
  • At 10/12/2006 10:27 AM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    Another "small world" encounter today. I saw a poster announcing an upcoming faculty recital here at UNC featuring a collection of works by Martin Kennedy, another IU classmate of mine.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home