A Soprano's Scratchpad

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A happy ending...

It was 11:50 AM and I was driving through my neighborhood on my way to my voice lesson when I saw three cars swerve to miss hitting a cute litte Jack Terrier. One of them even honked at him and he didn't get out of the way. I pulled over and opened my car door, and the little dog hopped into my lap and started licking my face. He was wearing a collar, but no identification. And he was in excellent shape - not fat, not skinny - so clearly someone had been taking good care of him.

I knocked at three houses. One wasn't home. Another said they thought the dog belonged to the folks that weren't home. Given his unhealthy affinity for being in the street, I couldn't leave him there, so I took him to my veterinarian. They scanned him, but he wasn't microchipped, so they couldn't help. So, I took the little guy to the Dumb Friends League. He was so happy riding in the car with me and so miserable when I left him at the shelter that I cried leaving him there.

Seven hours later, when I finished teaching for the day, I printed a few flyers and headed back to the street where I found him. I knocked on the door of the folks who hadn't been home. No answer. But as I finished taping the first flyer to a lightpost, they pulled into their driveway - a young mother and her two teenage boys. And it was their dog and they were quite worried about him. I told them where to claim their doggie and they were very very grateful. A happy ending indeed.

And to top it off, my teacher was so kind as to let me have a later lesson time today so I didn't have to forfeit my lesson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home