A Soprano's Scratchpad

Monday, August 28, 2006

First day

Well, I feel lonely. Yeah, it's only been one class, so there's plenty of time, but I'm just not feeling connected. I feel like a visitor. My Monday evening class has only six students and we're all in the same program, so that's the one I had pinned my hopes on. It probably doesn't help that we didn't have any sort of introductions during class. We all kind of introduced ourselves after class. Nonetheless, it looks like it will be a fascinating class!

I have also discovered that my laptop is very heavy. I only carried it around a little tonight before class and my neck was sore all through class. So, I don't think I will take it to classes tomorrow. If I find that I will want it, I can start taking it on Thursday.

I saved the good news for last. Remember those advisory exams? I passed them ALL! Not with flying colors, but I passed, so I don't have to take any music theory or music history. Yay Ellie!! That really made my day. :-)

Strange afterthought: I've lived in Colorado for 15 years and I never knew what the school colors were at UNC. I knew DU, CU and CSU, but not UNC. For some reason, I have always associated UNC with purple. So, I am having a really hard time adjusting to the fact that the colors are blue and gold.

5 Comments:

  • At 8/29/2006 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow, I didn't know UNC had Laredo colors! (Well, Laredo colors as of 7th grade. By 8th grade, they changed to copy Smoky's.)

    Congrats on passing your exams! You must still be a good test taker :).

    Give it some time as you get to know people. I don't think I got to know most of the people I ended up in project/homework groups with during the first week either. Just be your normal, charming self and give it some time.

     
  • At 8/29/2006 10:27 PM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    Thanks!! Actually, I made a friend after my first class this morning. Most of the people in my Intro to Musical Scholarship class are voice majors, so I caught this one on the way out and used that as a springboard for conversation. We have a lot in common and conversation comes easily between us. And we both have the same fast walk across campus right after our first class, so I'm looking forward to more short chats with her in the future.

    Yay! I've made CONTACT!

     
  • At 8/30/2006 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The blue is for the sweet smell of burning beats. The gold is for the star permanently adhered to each tenured professor's employment file.

     
  • At 9/04/2006 9:47 PM, Blogger GeekTeach said…

    Purple is the school's "academic color", whatever that means - but yeah, after college about everything I owned was blue and gold.

    I'm sorry that came as a surprise to you - apparently, I didn't do my job. (Of course, apparently I did do my job, because I have a friend that is getting her Masters from UNC in my initial major.)

     
  • At 9/04/2006 10:19 PM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    Why on earth do they have a different "academic color" from the school colors?! No wonder I'm confused! But thank you for clearing that up for me. I feel validated. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home