A Soprano's Scratchpad

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Small world

I'm online going through the list of textbooks I need to acquire in the next couple of weeks. One of the books I need is a book that I bought from a book club in 5th or 6th grade and read "for fun." Some books you read and forget, but not this one. It's the story of Alex Deford, a little girl who died of Cystic Fibrosis when she was eight years old. The book was written by her father three years later in 1983.

The course requiring the book is "Exceptional Students in the Regular Classroom." So, my guess is that this book is designed to stimulate discussion regarding how we deal with chronically ill and/or physically disabled or "different" students in regular classrooms, how to comfort them when other kids are afraid of them or poke fun, how to educate and encourage the other students without unnecessary "singling out" of the "different" child, and how they can enrich the lives of those around them and bring out the best in people. And how to talk to children about death, both the dying child and those left behind.

One of the reasons I chose to read this book when I was so young is that I had actually heard of the girl before. I had been involved with a children's acting troupe called "Imaginating Dramatics Company." I remember the founder of the troupe telling us that the word "imaginating" (as opposed to "imagining") was coined by this special little girl, and that she had written to this girl's parents for permission to use the word in naming her children's drama company.

Out of curiosity, I googled Imaginating Dramatics Company, and it turns out they are still going strong and the same lady is running it now that was running it 18 years ago. Apparently they've even received a donation from the Millionaire's Hall of Fame. And in the google search, the book about Alex Deford comes up as one of the links. It sure is a small world, isn't it?

So, I can't seem to escape this story. But imagine that.... I'm already ahead in one of my classes!!! Of course, I'll read it again so I can appreciate it from the educator's standpoint, but it should be easier since I already know what to expect. We always get more out of a book the second time, don't we? Which reminds me, I want to read those Harry Potter books again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home