A Soprano's Scratchpad

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Miscellaneous catching up,

Gosh, I can't believe it's August already! Where did my summer go?

Mom gets back from her three-week vacation in Bali today. I think I will be more relaxed overall knowing she's back in the USA and out of the tsunami zone.

Start my new summer job with Parade of Homes today. Went through three training classes in July, but this is my first day actually working on-site. I'm working in the ticket trailer, which makes me happy. It should be faster paced than being a hostess, which is what I did last year. Also gets me off my feet. This is a short term thing to bring in some extra $$ for school while things are slower in the studio. The parade only runs for a month anyway, so it's really an ideal situation for me. There are some really neat homes in the show this year - worth seeing if you're into that sort of thing.

The triathlon is now only five days away, and unfortunately my training has come to a halt. Some of you know that eight years ago I was finally diagnosed with neurocardiogenic syncope. I treat it primarily with medication and haven't had much trouble with it at all in the last four years. For some unknown reason, it has chosen this week for a minor relapse, so I'm lying low and hoping that it doesn't interfere with my race on Sunday morning.

Other than that, it's business as usual. I'm still studying for my advisory exams in music theory, music history and music education, but I've accepted the fact that I don't have the time to devote to studying that would be required to ace the exams after being out of school for 7 years. The music theory is coming back quickly and easily so I'm planning to get through all of that material and do really well on that test. Music history I have a pretty good grasp on overall, but these kinds of tests usually involve memorizing a lot of names, dates and terminology, whereas music theory is more of a how-to sort of thing that comes back to me kind of like riding a bike. Music education? Who am I trying to fool? I've never taken a music ed course in my life. I'll do my best and take whatever "remedial" courses I need in order to catch up.

School starts on the 28th, the day after my 10-year high school reunion. And believe it or not, I need to study for that, too! I've been remembering events from high school and have been surprised at how many names I can't remember right away. It would be embarrassing not to remember someone's name at the reunion!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home