A Soprano's Scratchpad

Monday, July 17, 2006

My parents are in Indonesia

"The International Tsunami Information Centre (ITIC) issued a tsunami watch after an earthquake with a magnitude of 7.2 rumbled in the Indian Ocean 220 miles south of Jakarta."
-CNN

" At least five people were killed when a tsunami triggered by a major earthquake hit the southern coast of Indonesia's Java island Monday, the country's president said." -CNN

My mom and stepdad are vacationing in Bali, the small island just off the southern tip of Java island.

Mom sent me an email at 11:30 last night. According to CNN, the tsunami hit at 2:19 AM mountain time, nearly three hours after she sent her email. I have no doubt that communications in Bali are severely compromised at the moment, which means it could be days before I hear from them that they are ok. I suspect time will be moving very slowly until I hear that they are safe. Please pray for their safety.

-------------------------------------------
Update:
I know I could just add a comment to my post, but I wanted it to be clear and obvious.

I remembered I have Mom's itinerary. I called their hotel in Bali and the receptionist told me that Bali was safe. I tried to get her to put me through to their room, but after about 3 minutes trying to help her find their name, I gave up. I am content for now.

5 Comments:

  • At 7/17/2006 11:36 AM, Blogger Mellifluous said…

    Praying for your mom...whether she was affected at all or not.

     
  • At 7/17/2006 11:58 AM, Blogger Christianne said…

    Sedning prayers. Hope you are able to hear from her soon.

     
  • At 7/17/2006 12:23 PM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    No word from Mom yet, but it is now after 1 AM there, so it's not likely I'll hear anything new today.

    More recent reports say that the 6-ft-tsunami hit the southwestern parts of Java Island, and Bali is off the southeastern tip.

    However, "a similar tiny tsunami was recorded on Indonesia's resort island of Bali." - CNN

    Nonetheless, I called the resort in Bali this morning, and the receptionist assured me that all on Bali were safe.

     
  • At 7/19/2006 11:39 AM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    Finally heard from Mom. They weren't even aware of the tsunami until people started talking about it. They've had great weather. Go figure!

     
  • At 7/22/2006 10:48 PM, Blogger Mellifluous said…

    Glad to hear she's safe. Does it sound like she is doing well?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home