A Soprano's Scratchpad

Monday, July 10, 2006

My fingers hurt....

I just spent an hour practicing for my piano proficiency at UNC. It's kind of scary that the piano proficiency test at UNC is more involved than the one at IU, or at least, the one at IU 8 years ago. Fortunately, teaching piano and accompanying my voice students has kept my fingers in shape, so most of it will be a cinch. But there are a couple things I'm a touch nervous about, like say, harmonizing a melody on the spot. I do it all the time, but I take a couple minutes to work it out before I actually try to play it. Hmmm..... Well, if any non-piano major can pass this thing, with 25 years of piano under my belt, I guess I ought to be able to. Then again, there's my inherent fear of playing the piano under scrutiny. In 11 years of piano lessons, I never had a piano recital, so I never developed a comfort zone for playing in public. It scares me to death. Which reminds me, it's about time for my piano kids to have another recital.....

1 Comments:

  • At 7/11/2006 9:24 PM, Blogger GeekTeach said…

    Congratulations! You just discovered one of the reasons that I changed my major! Yeah, I was one of those non-piano-majors that you were referring to. The piano proficiency scared me to death. It's not the only thing that caused me to change my major - it was just one of several items of the "sophomore year" things that totally destroyed me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home