A Soprano's Scratchpad

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Getting ahead

Hello again.

I am a much better student now than I was as an undergrad. I'm feeling like a total nerd because I get truly excited about the subject material. And since I don't have anything due next week, I spent the weekend working ahead in two classes. After all, if nothing is due this week, then it's probably all going to gang up on me later. Plus I need to be working ahead since I will be in Rome for two weeks in November.

Today I read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time." Anyone else ever read it? It was assigned reading for my Special Ed class. I read the whole book this afternoon. I haven't devoured a book in one afternoon since I was a pre-teen reading Babysitter's Club books.

I have been experiencing a peculiar phenomenon this last week. My gag reflex is out of control. I think it much be some sort of reaction to stress, but this last week was significantly more managable than the first three weeks. Unfortunately, it's getting worse. Today it was constant instead of occasional, and bad enough that I was only able to eat a little bit. I tried looking for an answer on the web, but all I found were articles about morning sickness, and I can be reasonably sure I am not pregnant. I called my mom, a nurse, but she had never heard of such a symptom. I hope it goes away soon.

3 Comments:

  • At 9/25/2006 9:32 AM, Blogger Christianne said…

    I had a problem briefly with esophageal spasms. It was painful to swallow (even when I wasn't eating), but I didn't have a sore throat. Perhaps your having spasms. If it continues, I'd see your doctor. Mine perscribed Nexium and sent me to have a barium swallow (rather disgusting). But the problem went away.

    Glad you've joined the nerds! Welcome to the club. :)

     
  • At 9/25/2006 12:11 PM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    I talked to a nurse practitioner today who suggested it could be reflux. I had considered this, but discarded it because reflux is the "in" thing right now - everyone's getting diagnosed with it - and I hate following a crowd. Still, when I think through it, it makes sense. So, I'll try some antacids for a few days and see if that helps. Of course, it's already signficantly better today than yesterday, so we may never truly know!

    Regarding being a nerd.... I can't help relating to Hermione Granger!

     
  • At 9/25/2006 8:15 PM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    Well, maybe it is reflux. Even though I didn't have any gagging today, I had trouble eating. It seemed like every bite got stuck in my throat, no matter how thoroughly I chewed it. It was frustrating.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home