A Soprano's Scratchpad

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Comedy of Errors

Ever have one of those days where everything that could possibly go wrong does? Well, I actually had a pretty good day today, but I had one hour where one thing after another didn't go my way, to the point that it became absurd, and therefore funny.

I finished my voice lesson at 2:00. I had an hour to run three little errands and get back home in time to teach my next lesson at 3:00. The first errand actually went smoothly.

Second errand: Drop off sunglasses at eye doctor so they can be sent to the lab for new lenses. Sounds easy enough. So, as I give them to her she says, "And just so you know, because you're using your old frames instead of new ones, the lab will not be responsible for any damage that could occur to them while they are in their possession." Now, if I had this to do over again, I would say, "okay, fine" and go on with my day. But instead, I said, somewhat jokingly, "Well, I am assuming that if someone dropped them and then stepped on them that the lab would compensate me for them," thinking this was a no-brainer. She said, no, even in that circumstance they would not compensate me. I was incredulous, so she decided the verbal notification wasn't good enough and had me sign a waiver. Still looking at her like she must be joking, I informed her that if my frames came back ridiculously broken, I would sue, waiver or not, as a matter of principle. The waiver is designed to protect them from lawsuits that result from damage that occurs due to fact that older frames are often well-worn and and thus more fragile than new frames; the document is meaningless if one can prove that the company was negligent. Again, as it's not likely to be an issue and I didn't gain anything by explaining this to her, I should have kept my big mouth shut and saved some time, but when someone looks you right in the eye and says they won't compensate you if they carelessly drop your glasses and step on them, you start to question the integrity of the company and whether or not you actually want to give her your prescription sunglasses. It got my dander up, but I was not too bent out of shape when I left their office.

Third errand: Drop by the grocery store to pick up my prescription. I had actually stopped by there on my way home from church on Sunday. I was fourth in line when I got in line. I was still fourth in line 15 minutes later, so I decided I could come back another day. So, I went back today, and this time I was first in line. And I was still first in line 15 minutes later. There were SIX people behind the counter, and none of them could be bothered with the line standing in front of the counter. When it was five minutes to 3:00, I was almost in tears, and finally went up and nicely asked someone to please retrieve my prescription because, while I was not in a hurry when I got in line, I was now already late for my next client. She was very nice and helpful, except that my prescription wasn't ready...!

Now, contrary to my usual procrastinating, I called my doctor 10 days ago to request a refill. They said they would prefer that I have my pharmacy contact them directly for the refill request. So, I asked the pharmacy to do this, and the pharmacy apparently did, but hasn't heard back from my doctor's office. So, first of all, I'm thinking that the pharmacy should have followed up by now either with me or the doctor's office or both. Secondly, I decided that it is truly time to find a new family doctor because this is not the first time my doctor's office has been well outside their 24-hour turn around time for refill requests. So, I will have to go back tomorrow, and if they still haven't gotten the approval, I will have to a) get a "loaner" prescription of three days worth and b) call and read my doctor's office the riot act about not being prompt in responding to refill requests on drugs for which one can be admitted to the ER if one has to stop the drug cold turkey because the doctor's office couldn't respond to the request within TEN DAYS. (Yes, one of my readers has experienced this nightmare firsthand, and I am happy to take his word for it that it isn't fun.)

Again, I was very nice to the lady at the pharmacy because she did all she could (including refaxing my doctor), but the cumulative effect of all that nonsense was that I was fuming when I left the pharmacy. I pulled into my driveway at exactly 3:00, which makes me officially late because that's when the lesson is supposed to begin.

As I sat down to begin the lesson, I grabbed a bottle of red Gatorade thinking a nice, refreshing drink would help me recenter myself so I could teach, but I was shaking so much that I spilled red Gatorade all over my skirt!

This is where I finally started to laugh out loud. This was unmistakably a message from my God that I was taking myself way too seriously. I changed my clothes, and after that, the rest of the day was wonderful again. But that one hour was something else.

The most ironic part of it all was that before last week, in seven years of private teaching, I have never had to change my clothes during a lesson, but today made two weeks in a row that I had to change my clothes during the same student's lesson! (Last week, Lucy jumped on my lap after having stepped in something yucky and smelly.)

Yes, I have been told that I get long-winded. Sorry. I guess I figure it doesn't sound nearly as exciting in print as it did to me at the time. My husband will tell you that I am incredibly patient with people as a rule, so please don't think I'm every service representative's worst nightmare. Besides, I wouldn't want to take that title away from my husband... just kidding! Honestly, I consider myself very blessed to be able to consider these trifles to be upsetting - I know most people would gladly trade their troubles for mine in a heartbeat, and I praise the Lord that I am so fortunate.

3 Comments:

  • At 3/04/2009 8:10 AM, Blogger Christianne said…

    Sounds like quite the comedy to me! I do hope your doctor's office gets its butt in gear, though.

     
  • At 3/04/2009 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with you on the sunglasses situation. That's ridiculous! Of course, if they fall off the counter and the tech steps on them, I highly doubt they'd tell you the truth about what happened to them. Maybe that's just the cynic in me talking, though.

    As for the medication, good luck with that. It is a nightmare, to be sure. I pray that the doctor reacts with panic and fills your prescription pronto.

    Thinking back to my past situation to which you alluded, if you get a standard "72 hours" kind of response from the doctor's office regarding getting the prescription filled, here's how I'd say it had I stayed with my old doctor. Tell them that you understand that you can get a 3 day loaner supply from the pharmacist, but you have already maxed out of the level of incompetence that you can handle on this situation and will not condone the additional emotional distress of that period of limbo. Tell them you'll be at your pharmacy's counter in an hour, and you'd like their end of the transaction to be there before you. Hang up before you can get a response. Fire the doc, but not until he's actually filled the prescription.

     
  • At 3/09/2009 12:56 PM, Blogger Ward said…

    Sigh--
    I've had bad experiences as well at both counters. Walmart optometry: Bad. Costco pharmacy: bad. Needless to say, I don't go to either place anymore. Of course I don't know where you go, but is certainly worth it to go to an efficient pharmacist, a doctor with competent staff and an sensible optician. Then, think of immigration officers, the American Consulate, and my all-time favorite, the department of licensing and motor vehicles.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home