A Soprano's Scratchpad

Monday, January 26, 2009

Is this legal?

Tonight was the first staging rehearsal for The Pearl Fishers. It was a lot of fun. As one of the younger-looking women in the chorus, I have been assigned to play the role of the girlfriend of one of the rookie pearl fishers who is to be blessed at the opening ceremony. The supernumerary who is playing this particualar pearl fisher happens to be 16 years old. I have found it surprisingly challenging to play a giddy girl and spend a whole scene flirting with a teenager little more than half my age, but Eric reminds me that this is an indication that I have a long career ahead of me...! It's funny...age 16 doesn't seem all that long ago until you're standing next to a 16-year-old realizing how little you have in common with him. But I'm too focussed on myself, huh? I mean, this poor kid has to flirt with someone nearly twice his age. Imagine the conversation he had with his mom when he got home!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 1/27/2009 9:15 AM, Blogger GeekTeach said…

    Yeah - I got to do that once too. 15 years ago or so, the church did "I'll be home for Christmas" and I played the mailman who was the love interest with the younger daughter. The girl was played by Michelle L. who was at the time a freshman, in the youth group, and also one of my students at school.

    Yeah - just a little awkward.

     
  • At 1/27/2009 9:58 AM, Blogger DenverSop said…

    Oh yes, your story tops mine, GT - I bet that was awkward!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home