A Soprano's Scratchpad

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Catching up with the rest of my life

Whew! Finally finished all my spring performing commitments!

The Bach concert on Saturday night actually went really well except for the one movement I knew I couldn't sing yet and which we hadn't sung at all in a couple of months. Other than that, it was pretty good, although my vocal fatigue was becoming evident towards the end. After practicing so much all week and then two dress rehearsals, my pipes were really tired. By Sunday, I was in real trouble. Since I didn't have an understudy, I had to sing Sunday's performance regardless, but I cut my sustained high A short by a few bars and took the phrase with the sustained high B down an octave. I considered both of these changes to be a significant compromise, but fortunately, since it was part of an elaborate trio, the audience probably didn't notice. Still, it's sad to come face to face with the limits of my stamina. I've been on vocal rest ever since.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home