A Soprano's Scratchpad

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

"God is never a god of hopelessness..."

I've been writing more in my hardcopy journal lately than my blog. I seem to go in spurts from one to the other. But lately I just haven't felt much that I thought appropriate to share with the world.

There's so much to mourn in Mom's situation. Suffice it to say that there's a lot more involved in that situation than I've felt at liberty to share online. But so many memories for her...19 years of good memories are suddenly painful. And decades of future plans are gone. There are wounds that will never go away. And the future is now naked, appearing as it always has been, entirely uncertain. I admire her so much for having the courage to get out of bed in the morning. It's so overwhelming.

I've decided I'm in mourning. Other than the physical tension that's made singing almost impossible recently, I think I seem pretty normal on the outside, and I usually feel pretty normal. But when I'm alone, I feel the darkness and churning inside. It's like all the emotion is staying beneath the surface. I'm aware of it and I acknowledge it, but I can't seem to tap into it and bring it to the surface except rarely. Maybe I feel unworthy of feeling the emotions because they are so much more acute for Mom and she is being so strong, even though she's broken.

Last night, I was reading a short devotional before bed. Lyn Klug wrote, "God is never a god of hopelessness. Even if God does not change the situation, He can change us."

This applies to so many things in my life right now. Mom's painful journey, Eric's abusive work situation, and other less noteworthy things. And maybe that's the nature of mourning. Giving up what was to accept what is. Giving up past security and situational peace and taking an involuntary leap of faith into God's waiting arms and His unconditional peace. And the growing pains that come from the heat of the Refiner's fire.

2 Comments:

  • At 3/28/2006 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's natural to be in mourning for your mom's relationship. After all, your mom and stepdad were together for so much of the impressionable period of your life. Besides, it can't help but bring back the pain of when your parents split.

    However, there is an upside to this. Recent events have made it clear that there were problems between your mom and stepdad. It takes a lot of courage to do the right thing and acknowledge when it's time for a relationship to end. And the longer that relationship has lasted, of course the harder it is.

    This might seem totally random, but lately I've been thinking back to when you and I memorized part of the Declaration of Independence back in 8th grade. The part that's been running though my mind lately (due to completely different stuff, though it migh be tangential here) is this: "...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."

    Sorry for rambling on so long. As always, if you need to talk, you know my number.

     
  • At 3/30/2006 10:22 PM, Blogger Mellifluous said…

    We talked about the stages of mourning in MOPS last week. It was a different breakdown than I had seen before. I'll try to remember to bring it to MM on Sunday.

    Just realize that the things you are feeling are normal. Grief is a hard process, but I pray that God will bring you through to healin and strength.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home