A Soprano's Scratchpad

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Review: The Atonement Child

For the last ten years, Francine Rivers has been my favorite author, hands down. Her books are intriguing and uplifting. The Atonement Child, which I just finished reading last night, is no exception. At the same time, it's the first of her books that I wouldn't automatically recommend to any and everyone I know.

The subject of abortion is a touchy and emotional one, and while Ms. Rivers is not unneccessarily graphic, she is brutally honest. I think it is in most ways very realistic, and she definitely did her research. Other than speakers at Alternatives Walk meetings, I've never known anyone who had or considered having an abortion - at least not that I was aware of, so I consider myself pretty far removed from the real issue. This book gave me a better sense of perspective regarding all parties involved and affected. It's a page-turner, so if you think you can handle it, read it. (And all of her other books!)

The last two years I have walked in the Alternatives Walk in Denver which raises money and awareness for Alternatives Pregnancy Center. Their mission is to provide alternative solutions to abortion for women in crisis pregnancies. For more information, visit their website: http://www.apcdenver.org/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home