A Soprano's Scratchpad

Monday, March 20, 2006

Silence

No news is not always good news. Heck, no news is not always no news!

Let me start by saying, I'm doing pretty well. Our Lord is faithful all the time, and I have experienced His faithfulness enough times in my life that it is not so hard to trust him today. It's just been a rough week.

1. My "little" brother leaves this week for boot camp. He is joining the marines.
2. My mom and stepdad are separating. They've been together for 19 years... 2/3 of my life.
3. My stepmom has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She meets with the surgeon tomorrow to discuss her treatment and prognosis.
4. I thought I was pregnant, but it looks like I probably am not. We're disappointed, but it's ok.

It's all pretty personal stuff, so there's not much more I want to share about any of it. I've been reluctant to mention it, but it's not a secret, it's just personal. Thank you in advance for your prayers for all those involved.

There is one really cool thing I can share, though.... I've been helping my mother go through boxes and I've rediscovered a stack of letters that she and my dad wrote to my grandpa (paternal) when he was in Nepal in 1977-78. He was there representing the United Nations to help Nepal develop a bureau of vital statistics, and during that trip, I was born. It's neat to read about my parents lives when they were my age - just before and after the birth of their first child, me. Dad found those letters just before my 21st birthday and I had wondered where I had put them "for safe keeping." Today, in a different box, I found all the letters that grandpa wrote to my parents while he was in Nepal. It's the other half of the puzzle, so to speak. His stack of letters is much longer than theirs, and also covers his second trip in 1978-79. I'm only partly through reading them. It's so fascinating - it's like opening a time capsule. My grandpa passed away when I was only five years old, so I knew him and loved him, but now I can know him in a more grown up way through his letters. Back in time, to a foreign country, with a long lost, beloved grandfather. For a sentimental person like me, it doesn't get any better than this.

3 Comments:

  • At 3/21/2006 8:03 AM, Blogger Than Brown said…

    What a week for you! Sometimes I wonder if I would prefer to have a whole lot of bad news all at once or spread out over a longer period of time. There are certain advantages to having things happen within a short time span...

    We are praying for you and are readily available if you need to "escape" for a time at least to a different locale.

    And I want to let you know that it is okay to be personal; I have always thought that authenticity is a strong initial step towards something better...

     
  • At 3/21/2006 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Ellie,
    I'm so sorry to hear all this. Everything will turn out ok.
    Big hugs,
    Linz

     
  • At 3/21/2006 10:55 PM, Blogger Mellifluous said…

    hmmm...Than...maybe something like Biblical Fellowship? Hmmm? Maybe?

    Ellie, several people in our growth group commented on how refreshing your honesty is and your openness. Also, that it shows you are a very confident person since not enough of us really share personal stuff with those we should.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home