A Soprano's Scratchpad

Friday, March 10, 2006

Review: The Sound of Music

The Sound of Music at Rock Canyon High School - TWO THUMBS UP!!

First, let me just say how thrilled I am that I get to go to the theatre as often as I want for so little $$$ - gotta love high school theatre. I've been to two already this month and have at least two more scheduled for next month in addition to another night with Opera Colorado.

So, I attended this production because a long-time student of mine, Kristina A., was Maria. Notice I didn't just say she "sang" Maria or "played" Maria. She WAS Maria. Her singing was lovely; her acting was natural and believable. Personally, I think she was more believable than the legendary Ms. Andrews. What more could you ask for?

A supporting cast? You got it! Who knew that much talent could attend one high school together? They were wonderful, especially the children. Elsa was perfectly convincing - it was all in the walk. The Mother Abbess has an outstanding voice. And the costumes were to die for! I was thoroughly entertained from beginning to end!

Of course, there are those little things that happen during high school productions... early in Act II, one girl forgot to turn off her wireless microphone when she left the stage, leaving the poor nuns onstage to sing to the accompaniment of, "Oh my gosh, I can't believe she went out with him!"

The truly nostalgic aspect of the evening came when I found myself casting the whole show with people I went to high school with! Ian would have been the Captain, Nicole Nance would have been Elsa. I like to think I would have played Maria, but there was also Marleen. She would have made a more convincing Elsa, but she could have done Maria. I guess that's why we did Hello Dolly instead of The Sound of Music!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home