A Soprano's Scratchpad

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Why-oming!

I was supposed to be in Laramie, WY on Saturday for the NATS (Natl Assn of Teachers of Singing) annual student auditions and chapter meeting. My colleagues and I put in countless hours preparing for the event. My students put in many hours preparing their music and their minds for the competition, plus paying their pianist and entry fees and forfeiting other opportunities for the day. I was supposed to judge, sing, tabluate and run for the office of VP of Auditions, which would/will put me in charge of this very event for the next two years. But, the event has been canceled due to the blizzard in Wyoming. What a winter we have had!

I don't really know if the cancellation was necessary. If the event were tomorrow, there would be little question. But the winter storm warning lets up at midnight tonight and it's supposed to be fairly warm over the weekend. BUT my colleagues put a lot of effort into this, and I can't imagine they would cancel it unless they really felt they had no choice. Fortunately, my students have been very understanding and even relieved, since they have also been watching the weather. But it's still very disappointing for all of us, especially one particular student of mine who stood a good chance of winning her division.

The good news is that the regional audition in November will be at UNC in Greeley, so it will be quite easy for my students to sing at the regional auditions this year. For the last couple of years, they have been a whole day's drive away. So, at least my students don't have to wait an entire year to try again, but it will be a bigger event. (This weekend was the CO/WY chapter auditions. The region includes CO, WY, KS and NE.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home